Starting in fall 2011, an active subscription to LiveText will be a requirement for one or more courses for first year undergraduate education students and all students entering the graduate literacy program. Purchase of a subscription in LiveText will also be an option for students who are not in their first year at Loyola. In the upcoming semesters, an increasing number of courses will require the use of LiveText for submitting class assignments. LiveText accounts can be purchased at the University bookstore. This one-time purchase, which is comparable in price to the cost of a textbook, lasts the duration of your time at the School of Education and one year following program completion (up to a period of five years, with an option to extend your subscription). Because your LiveText membership will last at least a full year after program completion, you will be able to use your electronic LiveText portfolio in the job seeking process.
As you progress through your program, you will find that LiveText allows you to work more efficiently, communicate effortlessly, and grow academically. Benefits for students include:
- Unlimited digital storage accessible via the web (which eliminates the need to purchase external jump drives);
- Ability to create professional electronic portfolios that can be easily shared;
- Ability to submit major assignments and receive feedback electronically;
- Resources, including a rubric maker, searchable standards, assignment templates, and more;
- Personal file manager, which allows you to upload and manage external files, such as MS Office, PDF, videos, pictures, and text documents - and which includes labeling capabilities to make document management easy; and,
- Add on also available: Learn360® teacher education resources: This web-based digital video library is comprised of thousands of K-12 core-curriculum videos, video clips, newsreels, audio and video speeches, still images, and audio files. Award-winning producers PBS, National Geographic, Standard Deviants, Slim Goodbody, Sunburst Visual Media™ and dozens of other educational video content producers provide this best quality, standards-based content - earchable by state standards, preferred media formats, grade levels, and subject areas. Learn360® also offers play list creation and is the only streaming service to provide slide show capability.