Teaching English Language Learners Certificate
For certified teachers and professionals teaching and working with English language learners.
*Certificate in Teaching English Language Learners
*Note: The Non Cohort TELL program is accepting applications to begin Summer 2015. The TELL Certificate is not available for international students.
As the school age population of children for whom English is a second or third language continues to grow, educators and other school professionals must develop the knowledge and skills necessary for effective expertise in second-language teaching, learning, and assessment at all instructional levels. Loyola University Maryland’s 15-credit Teaching English Language Learners (TELL) Program of Study Certificate program is designed for the certified teacher interested in becoming more proficient in working with the growing student population for whom English is a second or third language, as well as those professionals who work with children and young adults who are ELLs.
The program assists teachers and other school professionals to develop practical skills and theoretical knowledge necessary for effective expertise in bilingual teaching, learning, and assessment within K-12 education. It will also benefit reading specialists and special educators.
Program participants will learn to:
- identify and effectively use research-based best practices in bilingual/ESOL instruction
- articulate an understanding of the evolution of ESOL programming
- articulate an understanding of second language acquisition and literacy development
- design instruction reflecting effective assessment and learning strategies
- demonstrate sensitive and innovative instruction respecting cultural differences
Students can complete the program in one year. Read testimonials from some of our students. Courses are offered at Loyola's Timonium and Columbia graduate campuses. If applying for the TELL certificate please select the Literacy online application.
Possible Career Paths
Click on the links for more information on jobs and Standard Occupational Codes (SOC) related to this program:
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
|Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
|Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
|Postsecondary Education Teachers
|Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School
|Special Education Teachers, Middle School
|Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
|Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
|Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
Estimated Program Costs
- Program tuition and fees: $7950.00*
- Program books and supplies: $ 750.00*
- On-campus room and board: n/a
*Note: Costs for the program, including tuition, fees, books, and supplies, are estimated based on academic year 2014-15 rates. Rates are subject to change.
- Financing options: Refer to the office of financial aid website.
- Median debt for program graduates: Due to privacy regulations, since fewer than 10 students completed the program in 2013-14, this information may not be disclosed.
- Program length: This 15-credit program is designed to take 12 months to complete.
- Percentage of graduates who completed this program in the time defined above: Due to privacy regulations, since fewer than 10 students completed the program in 2013-14, this information may not be disclosed.
- Job placement rate for this program: Since the job placement rate is not required by an accrediting body nor by the State of Maryland, this information is not available.
(Download this information)