Curriculum: a three part approach
Leadership Skill Building
At monthly class sessions, participants sharpen critical skills necessary for effective leadership in their organization and community. Through experienced and professional instructors, participants will learn and practice the characteristics and requirements to be a results-oriented leader. Skills learned include:
- Leading teams to excellence
- Project management
- Building collaborative relationships and networks
- Improving critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Learning effective oral and written communication and active listening
- Creating impactful presentations
- Navigating organizational change and its subsequent potential for conflict
- Learning what your strengths and weaknesses are through a variety of assessment tools
- Creating a leadership development plan for long-term goal-based leadership
Professional Leadership Coaching
Personal coaching is a tool utilized by some of the most savvy and experienced leaders in business and management today. A professional coach is objective, confidential, and can help a leader unlock the answers within, enabling them to make appropriate decisions and strengthen leadership skills. Our coaches are professional and established leaders in local business and community organizations. Many are also graduates of Leadership Howard County. Participants will experience:
- One-on-one coaching sessions at least once per month
- A personal coach with years of experience
- An objective sounding board
- Reflections on business and personal challenges
- Guidance in creating a personal development plan
Community Service Projects
A highlight of this program is the involvement with the community. Participants will work in small teams on a short-term community service project that requires them to put their lessons and leadership skills into practice. Throughout the project they will build relationships around a goal-oriented assignment, learning from peers and acquiring first-hand experience at making a difference in Howard County.
This multi-faceted approach enables participants to build valuable skills and professional contacts in the community, and enhance their ability to become effective leaders in business and the wider community.
Graduates of the Leadership Essentials program become part of the network of Leadership Howard County members. Many stay involved with the community organizations they got to know through their community service projects, or get to know other groups with whom they can form connections and offer their leadership skills and resources.