The Jamaican Experience is a faith-based immersion that seeks to invite the Loyola community to respond to the Gospel mandate to work for peace and justice in the world. The Jamaican Experience allows participants to learn about the lives of and to be in solidarity with people who have been socially, economically, and/or politically marginalized.
Immersion travel dates: January 3-9, 2014
Donate to the Jamaican Experience.
Goals and Objectives
The Jamaican Experience seeks to offer the opportunity to:
- Encounter the economically poor and marginalized of Jamaica through interpersonal dialogue and service;
- Reflect critically on issues of faith and justice;
- Learn about aspects of Jamaican culture through a series of speakers;
- Share individual skills, resources, and gifts for the purpose of creating a more just world;
- Nurture and challenge faith lives through worship and daily encounters with Jamaicans in an ecumenical setting.
Trip Destination: Mandeville, Jamaica
This application process is open to Loyola undergraduate and graduate students only. We are limited to ten participants, making the application process very important. We also hope to take a diverse group. Priority will be given to those who have not had significant international travel or immersion experience.
How to Apply/Important Dates & Deadlines:
- JE '14 is limited to 10 participants (8 students and 2 professional leaders).
- All applications must be completed online.
- You will need one personal reference in order to complete the process
- Information sessions: September 4 & 10 at 7pm in Campus Ministry.
- Completed applications due by 5pm on September 17, 2013.
- Interviews: September 19-20, 23-24 in Campus Ministry.
- Decision Letters will be available on Sept. 25 in Campus Ministry.
- Immersion travel dates: January 3-9, 2014
JE '14 Team Meetings:
- Weekly Team Meetings begin Monday, September 30, 5-6:30pm in Campus Ministry (Cohn Hall 100) and will continue each Monday throughout the fall semester.
- You must be free during our scheduled meeting time.
- The JE '14 Program Fee of $200 is due upon acceptance to the team.
- Your program fee covers only about 20% of the total cost of this experience. Each team must work to raise enough money to cover airfare and land expenses and also to bring funds (largely for construction projects, education and development initiatives).
- Each participant is expected to raise a minimum of $500
- We fundraise primarily through individual letter-writing solicitations.
- Do not let financial concerns discourage you from applying.
- We are able to assist with some limited scholarship funding.
Annual JE Clothing Drive
- Our annual "Clothes for a Cause" drive is October 14 - November 4, 2013. As the weather turns cooler, all members of the Loyola community are invited to donate their "gently used" summer clothing and footwear.
- Collection tables will be open on the Quad on October 14, 15, 16: 11am until 2pm.
- You may also drop off items directly in Campus Ministry (Cohn Hall) anytime during regular business hours (8:30am - 5pm) Monday-Friday, or bring your donations to any Sunday Mass.
- For more information, contact George Miller, associate director of Campus Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the CM office at 617-2222.
- Last year we sent over 40 cases of clothing to Jamaica.
- Thank you in advance for your generosity!
Expectations/Requirements if you are chosen for JE '14
- Please follow this link to see the full expectations for members of this year's team - (exactly what you are getting yourself into).
JE Student Commitment Form
For more information please contact George Miller, associate director of Campus Ministry at email@example.com.